Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Poison Control

This afternoon I had to call Poison Control for the very first time in my almost 5-1/2 years of mothering. I made it through unscathed all this time with Miss Isabelle, but lo and behold, here comes Miss Melina who decided to taste the tiny, soft, brown berries on the honeysuckle bush. Isabelle and I were outside doing a painting project, enjoying the last of the day's sunshine
when I turned around ( it was too quiet), and discovered Melina putting a berry in her mouth and had already squished some berries on her shirt and pants. I immediately said, "no, get that out of your mouth!" She obeyed but had her typical devilish grin...She was drawn to these berries and was taking them and making a little pile in the planter we were standing next to. She was near hysterical when I took her inside and cleaned her up, and still sobbing while on the phone to Poison Control. The woman who answered the phone said, "honeysuckle? Wow, must be a plant day--just got a call about jasmine!" Thankfully honeysuckle in the U.S. according to her is nontoxic (the berries can be toxic in other countries apparently), and if Melina developed stomach cramps or vomiting then I needed to call back, but she said she should be okay (and as of this writing, she is fine).

What's funny about this is that a couple of weeks or so Jeff stood looking at the honeysuckle, noticed the brown berries, and asked if I knew whether they were poisonous or not. He suggested that we should find out, but we never got around to it. He certainly knows his little girl!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Good thing you are a little more relaxed by the time number 2 came along...can you imagine dealing w/miss Melina as a first time around parent? And yes, I can totally picture that little devilish grin she gets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I haven't by in awhile...alot to catch up on! There's something about the second child...We had to take Cole to the emergency when he was about the same age...the house we were renting was showing traces of mouse so we had poison in the closets..while I was in one trying to reach something at the top(which is a chore for me with my height) I heard a scratching and looked down to see that he had reached in around me and was putting a handful of the pellets in his mouth! I don't think I've ever moved SO fast to grab him and sweep his mouth down to his throat and make sure he didnt swallow any. We still took him to the ER and did blood tests and spent the evening dealing with the Ipocac induced vomiting. Ah, memories!! Beautiful family pictures, great art projects and yea for Little House!! Have you read The Friday Night Knitting Club???

    ReplyDelete